I'm very lucky to have access to lots of eco-friendly businesses in Manchester, we've even got a vegan supermarket down the road! There's one thing, however, that I've struggled to find plastic-free; something that my armpits can't live without...deodorant!
In my search for armpit and earth friendly deo, I came across quite a few recipes to make it at home. I was pretty dubious at first and these products don't roll on or spray, you have to rub them in like a moisturiser which seems a bit alien at first.
As I had the ingredients in my cupboard I thought I'd give it a go!
I was pleasantly surprised; the baking soda recipe really works and my partner loves it BUT unfortunately my sensitive skin doesn't, so I tried the essential oils recipe and it's perfect.
*My sensitive skin recipe does need to be reapplied after a few hours (especially if you're quite active!) but I just carry a little pot around with me.
Natural Deodorant Recipe with Baking Soda
3 tablespoons Coconut Oil
3 tablespoons Baking Soda
2 tablespoons Shea Butter
2 tablespoons Arrowroot/Cornstarch
10-15 drops Essential Oils
*Tea Tree, Lavender, Lemon & Peppermint essential oils have antibacterial qualities, use these if you can
- I popped an empty glass jar in an inch of simmering water and added the Coconut Oil & Shea Butter.
- Once melted, I took off the heat and stirred in the Arrowroot/Cornstarch & Baking Soda
- Finally I added my essential oils, then put it in the fridge to set
Essential Oils Deodorant Recipe for Sensitive Skin
2 tablespoons Coconut Oil
2 teaspoons Shea Butter
5 tablespoons Arrowroot/Cornstarch
2 teaspoons Soy/Beeswax
20-25 drops Essential Oils
- The method is exactly as above except you need to melt the wax in with the Coconut Oil and Shea Butter
- I used 10 drops of Tea Tree, 10 drops of Lavender and 5 drops of Peppermint but you can mix it up